Our Historic Houses
The Monmouth County Historical Association has five historic house museums throughout the county. Due to the pandemic, the houses are closed other than for private scheduled tours. Email us here for more information. Audio tours of the properties may be found in this section of the MCHA website.
Welcome to the Allen House!
MCHA has chosen to furnish the building as a tavern to reflect its 18th-century reputation as the Blue Ball Tavern, the very popular and “most noted tavern in Shrewsbury.”
Welcome to the Covenhoven House!
This historic Freehold homestead was built over the course of 1752-53. It was acquired by MCHA in 1966 and restored between 1968 and 1970. It is furnished to reflect a 1790 inventory from William Covenhoven’s estate, and includes many furnishings that a successful Monmouth County farm family might have had at that time.
Welcome to the Holmes-Hendrickson House!
This uniquely well-preserved structure with wide flaring eaves is set in the Pleasant Valley section of Holmdel, NJ, abutting Holmdel Park & Longstreet Farm. Built in 1754, it is a combination of Georgian and Dutch vernacular architecture that borrowed elements from both Dutch and English cultures.
Welcome to Marlpit Hall!
While four of the five historical houses owned by Monmouth County Historical Association have ties to Patriots of the American Revolution, this house represents the residence of a Loyalist family. Both the structure and the site are rich in historical significance.
Welcome to the Taylor-Butler House!
While four of the five historical houses owned by Monmouth County Historical Association have ties to the Revolutionary War, this house represents the Civil War era.