Welcome to the Holmes Hendrickson House!

Holmes Hendrickson House

 

Address:

Holmdel Park

Property of the Monmouth County Park System

62 Longstreet Road
Holmdel, NJ 07733

Days of Operation:

Our historic houses are open on a rotating basis each month (May through September). Please call to ensure that we are open the week you are visiting. . The Holmes – Hendrickson House is scheduled to be open the third weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) every month from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.

Parking Information:
Parking available in the area in front of the house

Admission:
Adults: $5.00
Seniors: $2.50
Students: $2.50
Members: Free
Children under 6: Free

About the House:

Welcome to the Holmes-Hendrickson House!

 

This uniquely well-preserved structure with wide flaring eaves is set in the Pleasant Valley section of Holmdel, NJ, abutting Holmdel Park & Longstreet Farm. Built in 1754, it is a combination of Georgian and Dutch vernacular architecture that borrowed elements from both Dutch and English cultures. William Holmes, the youngest son of Jonathan Holmes and Teuntje Hendrickson, purchased the land from his parents in 1752. His first cousin Garret Hendrickson then bought the property in 1756 with all of its improvements. Hendrickson operated a successful mixed-use farm where he grew crops, raised livestock including sheep for wool, and planted flax to produce linen.

Originally, the house stood just over a mile from its current location. In 1929, Bell Telephone Laboratories acquired the farm to establish a communications test site. Afterward, the house, never equipped with plumbing, electricity, or central heating, was used occasionally for storage. In 1959, Bell Labs began planning for the construction of a large new office building designed by legendary architect Eero Saarinen, now an important landmark in its own right. MCHA acquired the house and moved it to a small lot donated for the purpose. Visitors should ask their house docent for more details on the move itself! After several years of restoration, the Holmes-Hendrickson House was opened to the public in 1965. Today, the house stands in the same orientation to the sun as in its original location. Should Garret Hendrickson, who died in 1801, visit his home again, he would surely recognize it immediately.

 

For private tours please call 732-462-1466 x11

70 Court Street

Freehold NJ 07728

732 - 462 -1466

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

© 2019 by MCHA

Monmouth County Historical Association received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.