The Research Library & Archives is a rich source of information on Monmouth County history and genealogy.
Hours: Wednesday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Admission: $5 for adults, $2.50 for seniors and students (includes admission to the museum exhibits). Admission for members is free.
- Pencils only. No pens, food or drink are allowed.
- Laptops, scanners and digital cameras may be used, all at the discretion of the librarian on a case-by-case basis.
- Photocopies can be made for 35-cents each. (Oversized photocopies are 50-cents each.)
The library has wi-fi available.
Browse Our Collection
Online Catalog Included in the catalog are books, manuscript collections, and vertical files. We recommend that you check the Online Catalog AND the Manuscript Collections (below).
Manuscript Collections There are over 1,200 manuscript collections, some comprised of several boxes, others with only a few items. The titles are listed here, along with on-line finding aids where available. We recommend that you check the Manuscript Collections AND the Online Catalog (above). Also check the searchable PDF for Collections Alphabetical (below) for older processed collections.
Collections Alphabetical Before MCHA collections were numbered, manuscripts were organized alphabetically. As we retro-catalog these early collections into our online database, researchers can use our searchable PDF finding aid. Collections Alphabetical consists of papers of individuals.
Subjects Alphabetical Before MCHA collections were numbered and arranged by creator, manuscripts were organized by subject. As we retro-catalog these early collections into our online database, researchers can use our searchable PDF finding aid.
History Resources Historical resources include documents, business records, maps, photographs, post cards, archaeology reports, newspapers and clippings, ephemera, and publications.
Genealogy Resources Genealogical resources include books, magazines, indices, family histories, files, cemetery inscriptions, obituaries, censuses, city directories, and tax records.
Services We offer several services for those interested in our collections.
Guidelines & Fees for Ordering Images The Library & Archives has thousands of images that can be used for research and study purposes.
Library Collections Publication Guidelines The Library & Archives has thousands of images that can be used for publication.
Information Elsewhere There are many other organizations throughout the county and state that may be of interest to researchers. Some are listed here with their contact information.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What's new:
- On view through December in the first floor lobby, our new mini-display "Christmas and New Year's Cards, 1900-1915"
- Newspaper Index: We've just completed an inventory of our entire newspaper collection. Click here to view the updated index.
- Ciphering Books: We've just finished an inventory of our ciphering books collection. Click here to view the listing.
- Pach Brothers Studio Photographs: We are adding the Pach Brothers Studio photographs, digitized a few years ago with a grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, onto the New Jersey Digital Highway at Rutgers University. We will be ever adding to this portal but wanted to share it with you now. Click here to get to NJDH and happy browsing!
- Postcard Collection: We are also adding our postcards onto the New Jersey Digital Highway. We are still in the early stages of this project, but you can see what we have up now. Click here to view images of Monmouth County towns.
- Collection 900 Hartshorne Family Papers: The Hartshorne Family Papers are now available for researcher use. Search the finding aid online here: Hartshorne Family Papers to prepare for your visit.
Don't let your years of dedicated genealogical research wind up in the garbage. Please consider making provisions for them in your will.
Click here for a sample form.
The Library & Archives is closed the last two weeks of January for Annual Inventory.
This page updated 3 December 2016